We even Thundered Up at the hospital for our favorite NBA team's win in the Western Conference Finals!
On Wednesday evening, we noticed that he had begun to run a bit of a fever. By Thursday, his temp was still rising so they did another chest X-ray to see if his chest congestion and respiratory problems had turned into an infection. That didn't show much, so we continued to monitor him and prayed the fever would break. Friday brought more fever and tummy problems, so they decided to take a blood culture and start an IV to give antibiotics. Unfortunately our little guy is very difficult to stick. His veins are tiny and hard to find, so after four nurses and six attempts, they had a doctor place a central line in his neck last night and got antibiotics going.
Overnight on Friday, he took a turn for the worse as he went into toxic shock from the infection. Again, our amazing doctors and nurses were quick to act. After dozens of medications and putting him back on the SiPAP machine to help him breathe, he wasn't making enough of an improvement. He was having to work really hard to breathe and wasn't going to be able to fight this off without more help. We decided to intubate him and put him on the ventilator on Saturday afternoon. One of the tests came back, and his stomach troubles were caused by C-Diff, a gastrointestinal bacteria. The blood culture they drew is also showing some form of staph infection. They gave him a blood transfusion and plasma to improve his clotting, on top of the dozens of meds he's on to improve blood pressure, help with kidney function and correct the acidosis. As of this morning, we are seeing some encouraging signs of improvement, but have a long road ahead.
We are in life support mode at the moment. He is extremely swollen and red from the infections. The doctors are very concerned and have told us we need to worry. For now, we're just trying to stay ahead of the problems and correct issues as they arise. We are hoping and praying we are making the right decisions for him. We are asking for God's mercy on our poor baby, that he will not suffer and have comfort and peace. We pray for His continued guidance as we face even more difficult decisions, and we say prayers of thankfulness for the wonderful moments we had with him this week. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for praying with us.