Sunday, March 11, 2012

Our little Logan

In an effort to provide as much information as possible to those who are praying for us, we wanted to try to recap the whirlwind we've had with our precious boy so far. I apologize in advance for not being able to summarize the emotions we were feeling throughout this time. I simply wanted to get the medical side of things out there for those of you who have been wondering.

2:30 am Friday, March 10 - I go into the boys' room (for the third or fourth time) to try to quiet Griffin back to sleep. I check on Logan too and notice a twitching in his leg. I called Jeff in to look at it, we picked him up and noticed his whole left side seemed to be convulsing. We quickly decide to take him to the ER.

The ER doctor did bloodwork, started a sedative medication and ordered a CT scan. The bloodwork came back showing some abnormality in his liver, but little else, and the CT scan appeared normal. So, after consulting with the pediatric hospitalist and pediatric neurologist, they decide to admit him for further monitoring and tests.

6:00 am Friday, March 9 - We get admitted to the pediatric unit. Logan is very mellow from the drugs he got in the ER, but alert and aware, as he has been the whole time. Aside from the constant convulsing on his left side, nothing appears to be wrong. Later that morning, they did an EEG to see what was happening in his brain, and we got another dose of the sedative to help him get a little sleep while we wait for the neurologist. He was able to sleep for a couple hours, but the convulsing only subsided, never stopped. By noon, he was back to twitching on his whole left side. Two more doses of the sedative and a loading dose of an anti-convulsant had little to no effect.

5:00 pm Friday, March 9 - The neurologist gets to the room to see Logan after checking the EEG results. He is very concerned by what he sees, and quickly orders another dose of the anti-convulsant. He confirms that there has, in fact, been ongoing seizure activity in the area of his brain that controls his left side. After a short consultation with a few other specialists, he returns to tell us that he recommends taking him to the ICU so they can put him under, try stronger medications and get a spinal tap. He prepares us for a long journey ahead trying to figure out what is causing the seizures, mainly because of the unusual presentation.

8:30 pm Friday, March 9 - We are able to see Logan in ICU. He is almost completely sedated, intubated and getting hooked up to the EEG again. We try to settle in and rest after the longest day of our lives.

Saturday morning, March 10 - Our ICU doctor reports that the initial tests on the spinal fluid showed high protein levels, which is an indicator that infection is present. An MRI is scheduled for the morning so they can get a more complete picture of what's going on in his brain.

Saturday afternoon, March 10 - Initial review of the MRI showed some inflammation of the brain in the area that controls his left side. The neuro explains that the combination of medications Logan is on has controlled the seizure activity in his brain, which is positive. The MRI results, combined with the protein levels in his spinal fluid and the elevated liver enzymes in his blood all seem to point to some kind of infection. They begin an anti-viral to fight it off, in case that is what we're facing. The not-so-positive news is that we really won't know anything more until the cultures from the spinal tap come back - which will be Tuesday or Wednesday. He decides to keep the medication as it is to keep Logan sedated and continue to monitor with the EEG.

Sunday, March 11 - After an uneventful night, we continue to wait. Nothing new to report really... the EEG overnight showed the seizure activity is still under control and his liver enzyme numbers are continually decreasing. Our neurologist said that he is encouraged enough by the way the medication is controlling the seizures that he wants to try to start backing off one of the sedatives on Monday and see if the seizures remain at bay.

So here we sit. Waiting for test results, waiting to change medication, waiting for another doctor to review the MRI, and most of all... waiting to get our little boy back.

We are so thankful for all of you who have prayed, asked your friends/families/churches to pray, and sent words of encouragement. We have received and felt each and every one, and we rest in the hope of an awesome and amazingly powerful God to bring us out of this.

All our love,
Karlee, Jeff, Griffin and little Logan


We've all heard people say, "All we can do is pray." I've always secretly thought that was weak. No it's not, there has to be something more that can be done. Of course pray about it, but also make it happen, don't just wait for it to happen. Until the moment came when literally all I can do is pray.My baby lays in an ICU bed beside me and there is not one thing I can do to help him. Except pray. And while sometimes it may feel like nothing, it is most certainly not nothing.Prayer is so amazingly powerful, and the God to whom I pray is even more powerful. I have seen and heard of Him performing miracles time and time again, many of them more astounding that what I am asking for. So while this mountain may feel impossible to move, I must constantly remind myself that with God, it isn't. Faith, trust and confidence in Him, I have. What I do not have is the ability to comprehend what is happening, nor the power to do anything about it.So, all I can do is pray. And ask every person I know to do the same. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. ~ Ephesians 3:20